"Welcome to Holland" comes full circle

Those of you who have read my book - including the very last page! - know that I finish up Despite Lupus with a story about a woman on her way to Italy. Where she ends up and how she deals with it provides the link between Italian vacations and life with lupus (if you were wondering), and the moment I heard the story, I knew it was going to play a part in my book.

After I'd written the entire book, including an adapted form of the Holland story, it came time to cite everything I used that didn't originate from this little brain of mine. That included the Holland story. But finding the origin wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. I searched for the story online, but to no avail. I asked for assistance from super sleuths in the family, and got a little closer, but still didn't have the concrete answers I needed. Eventually, I tracked down the person who had recounted the story to me in the first place, but he couldn't provide any additional information. What he could do, however, was refer me to the friend who had passed the story on to him. I met up with said friend for all of about a minute one morning after church, just long enough to exchange emails so that she could send the story (and its authorship) on to me. Later that day, I received the email, cited the story, and published my book. It was a missing link that had kept me searching for weeks, but finally, I had found the answer and could publish my book.

Fast forward more than two years later - and Deirdre arrives for her first day of preschool. She loves everything about it - her teacher is the best - and all is good. Within a day, I get a generic email from her teacher with a rundown of the days activities, and then shortly after that, I get a personal email with four adorable pictures of Deirdre's first day of school. So thoughtful, so thorough - I just loved it.
I noted her email address for future emails, and that was that.

Later that day, I was searching through some old emails from my book publishing days, and lo and behold, there was an email from Deirdre's teacher...who back then wasn't Deirdre's teacher...but is the same woman who had closed the loop on the Welcome to Holland story two years earlier. She was the friend of my friend...she was the one who helped me tie up the very last loose end of my book...she is the reason that story appears in my book today.

When I put two and two together - I was stunned. Of all the teachers in all the schools - what a connection! Deirdre's teacher now has a signed, dedicated copy of Despite Lupus in her possession, just a small token of my appreciation for her help several years back.

I guess our paths were meant to cross - two times over!

Comments

Popular Posts